The Higher Education Chief Privacy Officer Primer, Part 2: A Roadmap for Chief Privacy Officers in Higher Education
The Higher Education Chief Privacy Officers Working Group has created this resource for CPOs who are new to the role of privacy leadership or someone new to the campus environment. The CPO Primer (part two) is intended to build on the guidance offered in the welcome kit (part one) and provide a roadmap describing how to kick-start or enhance your privacy program in higher education and how to operationalize it using some of the frameworks, key components, and resources mentioned in the welcome kit. In addition to offering ideas for framing your program and activities at the starting gate—as well as at the 100-day and one-year benchmarks—this roadmap offers practical guidance on how to build a program to address day-to-day privacy concerns in a higher education setting.
To orient you to your role in addressing these higher education privacy challenges, this document is organized into the following sections:
- A privacy program roadmap, focusing on privacy program activities that you will want to consider at the outset and at the 100-day and one-year benchmarks
- Guidance on how to deliver a compelling elevator speech about privacy (Appendix A)
- Guidance on how to create a data inventory (Appendix B)
- Guidance on conducting a privacy impact assessment (PIA) (Appendix C)
- Guidance on how to grow in your role as a higher education CPO, including professional resources and a brief list of recommended readings (Appendix D)